E-Bay Can Be Your Friend… And Your Enemy

E-Bay doesn’t seem to have the same luster since the rise of Amazon and other large online retailers. What E-Bay does have, is great deals for gamers. You will often be able to find games that are much cheaper than retail and even cheaper than the ‘Used’ section of Amazon.

These great deals are exhilarating to find, but it can be a double edged sword. I would take a guess and say 95% of the time you’re going to get your game in the mail, and be satisfied with result. The other 5% of the time, your game may be in sub-par condition. It’s a small amount of risk, but still one to be aware of.

Let’s do a price comparison.
Say you wanted to play Borderlands: The Handsome Collection before Borderlands 3 arrives. At the time of this article, there is a copy available on E-Bay as well as a copy available on Amazon.
E-Bay: $14.99($2.99 shpping) = $17.98
Amazon: $16.48($4.48 shipping) = $20.96

The savings are small, but they’re savings! Also, navigating to the used page on Amazon that shows this deal took a few clicks. The first page for this game shows a copy available for $34.78 and free shipping but the condition was “new”, which may be something you’re looking for.

This is just one example, and not all games are going to be cheaper on E-Bay. There are also a ton of other websites to purchase games, but these two are pretty heavy hitters. If you’re buying a used board game from one of these sites, make sure you are getting what you paid for by thoroughly reading the description. You don’t want missing pieces, or just the instruction book.